|HAMPTON & BRANCHVILLE AT A GLANCE
Miles of Track: 40
Carloads handled: 8,500 – 850,000 tons
Equipment: 8 engines
100 Mill Street – P.O. Box 56
Hampton, SC 29924
Phone: (803)-943-3334, Fax (803)-943-5779
Contact: Norris Laffitte, President
The Hampton & Branchville Railroad dates back to its founding in 1891. For many years it served the region’s timber industry. In 1986, the Company purchased the CSX line serving the South Carolina Electric & Gas Co. electric generating plant at Canadys, SC and now delivers unit coal trains to that facility. The H&B currently runs from the CSX at Hampton to Canadys, SC, 40 miles in Hampton and Colleton counties.
Principal commodities carried include coal and Kraft paper.
Principal shippers include SCE&G and Nevamar – together employing more than 500 people locally.